Bulgur Wheat & Chia Salad With Chickpeas, Feta & Mint YogurtWith summer in full swing and the sun out most of the time! We tend to choose light meals over heavy, filling foods. Juicy fruit, wraps, and of course – salads are some of our favourites.
Options are endless here. Grain salads are getting more and more popular. They are quite versatile- perfect for lunch or as a side to go with your grilled meat or fish. Quinoa, barley, brown rice are a great source of fibre, calcium and magnesium and so is bulgur wheat!
Today I’m trying it with chickpeas, feta cheese and cumin to give it an exotic twist. Chia seeds work really well here and add many important nutrients.
It may seem like a lot of ingredients for one salad but you will have most of them in your press and fridge, and I promise, it is so worth it! This bulgur wheat salad tastes great served with some mint yoghurt and toasted pita bread.
For the salad:
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 cups water, lightly salted
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cucumber, deseeded and sliced
- 1 feta cheese, crumbed
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- A handful of baby spinach
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- A handful of fresh parsley
- 6 pita breads, toasted
For mint yoghurt:
- 250 g Glenisk natural Greek style yoghurt
- Pinch of salt
- A handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring to the boil the bulgur wheat and simmer for 7-8 minutes until the water is absorbed. Let it cool down.
- Stir in the chia seeds, cucumber, tomatoes, baby spinach and chickpeas.
- Add ground cumin, salt & pepper, olive oil and lemon juice. Mix together. Use your hands to crumble the feta cheese. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Mix together the yogurt, salt and mint.
- Serve with toasted pita bread.
A light summer salad full of goodness. Enjoy!
This recipe is a collaboration with Monika Coghlan of Pepperazzi http://pepperazzi.ie/ .