Chia Berry compote with Spelt PancakesWe worked with consultant dietician Aveen Bannon to create this nutritious and easy to make recipe.
These tasty berry compote pancakes makes a perfect breakfast treat and are full of nutrition. High in fibre and a source of protein and omega-3 …just top with some yogurt to add some calcium and you have created a healthy delicious breakfast to start your day!
Serves 4 (2 pancakes per serving)
- 295 kcal
- No Added Sugars
- High in Fibre (9g)
- Source of Protein (13g)
- Source of Omega 3 (1.1g)
Ingredients – Spelt Pancakes
- 125g spelt flour
- 2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 100mls of almond milk
- 15g chia seeds
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil
Ingredients – Berry Compote
- 450g of berries – I suggest 200g of strawberries, 125g raspberries and 125g blueberries.
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons of natural yogurt to serve.
- Start with the compote – Place the fruit, lemon juice and cinnamon in a saucepan together and bring to a medium heat.
- Once the mixture starts to bubble, reduce the heat slightly and continue to cook for a further 10-12 minutes occasionally stirring and mashing the fruit with a fork.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chia seeds until mixed through. Then transfer the fruit mixture to a jar and allow it to cool. Can store in the fridge covered for 3-5 days.
- Meanwhile you can begin the pancakes. Sieve the flour, baking powder into a bowl and stir in the chia seeds. In a separate bowl, whisk the 2 eggs and add the milk. Add this mixture to the dry mix until just incorporated. Don’t overmix as this will stop the pancakes rising. A few lumps are fine!
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and lightly grease using the rapeseed oil.
- Once the pan is hot, ladle in batter. Cook the pancake the batter looks dry on top and brown at the edges, flip the pancake over, and then continue to cook for a further minute until cooked on both sides.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the berry compote and natural yogurt…delicious!