Chia-Crusted Chicken Goujons with Sweet Potato ChipsThese chia-crusted goujons are a hit with adults and children alike. The crunchy crust perfectly encases the succulent chicken. When served alone, the goujons make for great finger food, but when paired with these delicious sweet potato chips, and a salad on the side, you have the makings of a deliciously nutritious family meal.
600g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunky chips
2tbsp olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
3 free range chicken fillets
50g whole chia seeds
1tsp cajun spice
Salt & pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas mark 7.
- Dry the sweet potato wedges using some kitchen paper. Place on a large baking tray. Drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle over the smoked paprika, sea salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Using your hands toss the potato wedges with the oil and seasoning, then spread out in a single layer on the baking tray. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Cut the chicken into strips, about 5 per chicken breast.
- Mix the chia seeds, breadcrumbs and cajun spice in a medium sized bowl.
- Sprinkle the flour on to a plate. Season with a little sea salt and pepper. Place the eggs into a medium sized bowl and beat gently with a fork.
- With the use of two forks, and to save completely coating your fingers, dip the goujons, on each side, into the flour. Then dip the goujons in the beaten egg. Remove from the egg letting any extra egg drip off. Next, toss the goujons into the chia & breadcrumb mix. Gently shake off crumbs that don’t stick.
- Drizzle the base of the baking tray with the oil. Place in a preheated oven for 2 mins. Remove and carefully place the goujons in a single layer. Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins, turning them over half way through. When they are golden brown and completely cooked through remove from the oven and serve immediately with the sweet potato chips.