Fruity Chia Tray Bake (Dairy Free Bake)Food allergies have become much more prevalent in recent years, and a common one is an allergy to dairy products. Chia seeds are used as an egg replacement in this recipe, making this fruity tray bake dairy-free. The apple sauce, banana and blueberries give a luscious moistness to the bake, while also making it deliciously fruity.
2 tbsp chia seeds
200g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
75mls sunflower oil
1 ripe banana, mashed
100g apple sauce
2 tbsp maple syrup
1tsp vanilla extract
75g icing sugar combined with 1tbsp water
- Place the chia seeds in the water and leave to one side for 15 minutes to expand.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/Gas 5. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl. Add the sunflower oil, banana, apple sauce, maple syrup, vanilla extract and the swollen chia seeds. Stir until everything is well combined together
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Dot over the blueberries, carefully pressing them into mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven, for 35-40 minutes until golden in colour. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire tray to cool.
- Once cold, drizzle over the icing. Leave to set and store in a sealed container for up to 3 days.