We have set a challenge here at Chia Bia HQ for all the staff to bring in their chia-fied recipes and we will let you, our fans, be the judge. Amy from our marketing department kicked things off this week with these scrumptious brownies. Here is the recipe – if you try it out please tag us @chiabiaseed and use #ChiaBiaFam
2 Chia Eggs (2 tbsp milled chia seed + 5 tbsp water)
1/2 cup melted vegan butter (or coconut oil)
1/4 cup maple syrup (or agave nectar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup gluten-free flour
1/4 cup ground almond
Optional: 1/3 cup chopped walnuts + 1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 176 C (350 degrees F) and lightly grease an 8×8-inch baking dish with coconut oil, then line with parchment paper (the oil helps the parchment paper stick to the sides).
- Prepare the chia eggs in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the melted vegan butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk thoroughly to combine and start dissolving the coconut sugar.
- Add the chia eggs and whisk once more until combined. Then add baking powder, sea salt, and cocoa powder and whisk.
- Add the gluten-free flour blend and ground almonds and fold with a spatula. Then add the vegan chocolate chips and/or nuts of choice.
- Add the batter to the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer with a rubber spatula. (Sometimes wet hands work better as the mixture can be quiet sticky)
- Bake for 17-22 minutes in the oven, or until the edges appear dry and slightly fluffy and the center is no longer wet or sticky.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes, preferably 45 minutes – 1 hour (the longer they cool, the less tender they will be). Then gently lift out of pan and use a sharp knife to cut into desired number of squares.
- These are delicious on their own, but would also be great paired with some ice-cream.
- Store completely cooled leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to a few days. Will keep in the freezer up to 1 month.