High Omega 3 Soda BreadWe worked with consultant dietician Aveen Bannon to create this nutritious and easy to make recipe.
This nutritious soda bread is a slight twist on the traditional recipe. The inclusion of both Chia seeds, Walnut and Rapeseed Oil provide a great Omega boost. I have used the milled Chia seeds as I find they mix perfectly with the flour and won’t alter the texture of the bread. Chia seeds being really high in fibre absorb lots of moisture so you will need the higher buttermilk content to keep the bread nice and moist.
Serves 8 (2 slices per serving).
- High in Omega 3 (1.2g)
- High in Fibre (5g)
- 8g of Protein
300g Wholemeal Flour
30g Milled Chia Seed
30g Chopped Walnuts
1 Tsp Bread Soda
Pinch of Salt
1 Tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Lightly dust a 2 pound loaf tin with flour.
- Sieve all of the dry ingredients into a bowl, add the chopped walnuts and mix.
- In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk and rapeseed oil until fully mixed.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add the wet mix and using your hand bring it altogether. The dough should be wet and not too sticky, add more buttermilk if required.
- Pop it into the oven for 55 minutes. Cover with greaseproof paper for the last 10 minutes to stop the bread from over browning.