As the first company to bring chia seed to Europe 10 years ago, we simply love this tiny seed and could find 365 reasons to celebrate it every day of the year!
The nutritional benefits of the chia seed are far reaching, it is the perfect addition to your diet for a boosted nutrition:
- High in Omega 3 – chia seed is one of the richest plant based sources of Omega 3 ALA. This is proven to help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, a 15g serving a day (1 tablespoon) provides 2.7g of Omega 3 ALA.
- High in Fibre – chia is the highest source of fibre of all nuts and seeds, containing an average of 20% more fibre than flax seed. Fibre is a part of food that cannot be digested and contains no calories. It passes through the body unabsorbed and helps the body eliminate waste. However it appears that almost 80% of Irish adults do not eat enough fibre. Chia seed is naturally high in fibre and is a great way to boost the fibre content in foods.
- Chia is a great source of protein containing all 9 essential amino acids, plant protein provide the building blocks for healthy muscles and tissues.
- Chia also contains smaller amounts of Calcium, Iron, Selenium, Magnesium, Zinc and Folic acid.
- Other benefits of chia seed include healthier skin, balanced sugar levels, increased energy levels and weight loss management.
Chia seed is a very versatile ingredient that works well in a variety of recipes. Soak, grind or enjoy whole for a nutritious and delicious way to fit this nutrient-rich seed into your diet and get the chia seed benefits.
- Soak chia seed in milk or non dairy milk to make a nutritious chia pudding.
- Add chia to your favourite protein bar recipes for extra nutrition.
- Sprinkle on cereal, soups, salads and stir fries.
- Blend into smoothies.
- Use as an egg substitute – mix 1 tbsp chia seed and 3 tbsp water.
- Make chia breadcrumbs.
- Thicken sauces or gravies.
- Homemade energy gel for endurance activities.
- Chia seed energy bites.
- Chocolate chia mousse.
Just add chia to your favourite foods or drinks and enjoy as part of a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.