Veggie Cottage PieWe worked with consultant dietician Aveen Bannon to create this nutritious and easy to make recipe.
A perfect warming dinner for the family that provides 2 of your recommended 5 per day whilst being a good source of protein, fibre and omega-3 fatty acids! A great dish to introduce your family to a tasty vegetarian cottage pie and if you’re a family that like spices you could add some chilies to the lentil mix.
- Source of Protein (21.2g)
- Source of Fibre (13.8g)
- Source of Omega-3 (1.8g)
- 2 of your 5 a Day
- 1 medium Courgette
- 2 Large Carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Stick of Celery
- 120g peas
- 2 Large Potatoes (450g)
- 120mls of Milk
- 60g Parmesan Cheese
- 500ml of Vegetable Stock
- 100g Dried Red Lentils
- 40g Milled Chia Seeds
- 3 tbsp. of Tomato Puree
- A Knob of Butter
- 1 tbsp. rapeseed oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180”C
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks and boil until soft. Once soft, remove from heat and drain well.
- Add the milk and butter to the potatoes and mash until smooth. Then stir in the Parmesan cheese. Put aside.
- For the filling; Chop the courgette, carrot, onion, celery and garlic (I suggest chopping finely if cooking for family with kids!)
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped vegetables, stir and cover. Reduce to a low heat and allow cook for 10-15 minutes until soft. Stir in the tomato puree and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the lentils to the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft to bite. Add the peas and stir. Using a whisk add the milled chia seeds.
- Combine the stock mix with the vegetable mix and stir well.
- Pour the mix into an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in the oven until golden.
Did you like this recipe? You might also like this Chia Soda Bread Recipe.